For this week in Treating the Temple, I tried out Once Upon a Chef’s Grilled Thai Curry Chicken Skewers with Coconut-Peanut Sauce. Before I begin, I want to say that this recipe is delicious and easy to make. I definitely did not follow the directions perfectly, but it still came out great! I always find that I spend most of my time cutting vegetables so I appreciated that there weren’t many vegetables to cut.
Since this recipe doesn’t call for any particular vegetable sides, I’d recommend adding some of your favorites! Adding grains and vegetables rounds out this recipe so you get a whole meal! You can add any grain, such as brown rice or quinoa, and any vegetable, such as broccoli or Brussels sprouts. For this week, I added brown rice and spinach.
After making this meal, I did notice that I had made way too much sauce and that the sauce was not the healthiest. The key culprit was the amount of sugar and peanut butter. While peanut butter can be healthy in moderate amounts, it contains a lot of salt. Just 2 tablespoons of peanut butter can contain up to 135mg of salt, meaning 1/4 cup contains 540mg, which is over 20% of the daily salt maximum recommended by the FDA. It’s also 36% of the FDA’s maximum salt intake for blacks, individuals with hypertension, and middle-aged and older adults. To make this sauce fit into a healthy diet, I recommend either making 1/2 or 1/3 of the sauce, using unsweetened coconut milk, and reducing the amount of sugar. For my meal prep, I ended up only using 1-2 teaspoons of the sauce per serving and mixing it in with my rice.
I’ve copied the ingredient list below. Click here for the original recipe and cooking instructions.
For the Chicken
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (use gluten-free if needed)
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
- Zest of one lime
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 – 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For the Coconut-Peanut Sauce
- 1 (13-oz) can coconut milk (do not use low fat)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce (use gluten-free if needed)
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, from 2 limes
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)